In honor of No D-Day, I’ll call it C-Day. 🙂
As many of you know, I’ve been in the hospital more times in the last 6 months than I have in the last 24 years. It’s been full of more vomiting than I’ve ever experienced and more intestinal discussion than ever intended. After months of being sick I FINALLY have my answer. Initially they thought I may have Celiac disease, maybe Colitis or perhaps Crohn’s Disease.
Turns out Crohn’s is the lucky winner!
New diagnoses are never easy. So much to learn, understand and adjust. When you have an acute illness and your doctor gives you a pill, you already know you feel like crap and you maybe research the med a bit but that’s about it. Chronic conditions are a bit different. A cold messes you up and you feel like crap for a couple weeks. Living with a chronic condition requires some life adjustments to be made. It’s not that you can’t live, it just means adjustments. And a whole lot of learning…
So, here’s what I know thus far:
– Crohn’s can suck
– I have what’s called Crohn’s Ileitis, which means the area of my inflammation in my intestines is right at the connection between the small and large intestines. Other possibilities are in your colon or both.
– My intestines have decided they’d like to attach themselves to other organs and become friends. The organs are not a welcoming crowd. So I’m on prednisone to make my intestines a little less clingy and to calm down the large amount of inflammation right now.
– Pentasa is my new “forever” medication. It apparently is an anti-inflammatory that coats my intestines and reacts primarily right when it hits the ileum.
– Everyone BUT my doctor has told me I’ll need to make
– Crohn’s can make you feel like crap…I think I can agree
– Crohn’s and Diabetes are not commonly paired, it’s usually
Celiac. (Sorry, that’s not really talking about D though, right?)
– It’s likely I’ll contract some other autoimmune disease in the
future. My gastroenterologist is thinking it’ll be thyroid
– I will now take an additional 240 pills a month
– I’ve spent $120 in rx’s this week. AND I still need more…I just
lack the funding for more.
Guess I won’t just be learning in school, I get to learn more about this too. Yay?